For many years, maca root has been known to be a natural medicine that helps with anemia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and other issues related to energy and memory. However, maca root has recently grown significantly in popularity as a superfood. Move over avocados. The maca root is here! So, what exactly is the maca root? Well, it’s scientifically known as Lepidium meyenii. But, we get it, that’s a little difficult to pronounce. So, maca root will do just fine.
The maca plant mainly grows in the Andes of central Peru and is considered a cruciferous vegetable. This means that it’s related to broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and kale. The maca root is typically eaten in a powder form and can be a great additive to foods such as oatmeal, smoothies, and sweet treats. While some people might not like the taste, others love the earthy, nutty flavors of the maca plant.
What are the benefits of eating maca root?
There are several benefits to eating maca powder. Here are just a few:
- Nutrition: Maca root is very nutritious. Just 28 grams of maca powder includes healthy amounts of vital nutrients such as carbs, protein, fiber, fat, Vitamin C, Copper, Iron, Potassium, Vitamin B6, and Manganese.
- Increases Libido: If you’re experiencing decreased sexual desire, don’t worry. You are not alone at all. However, maca root can help with that. The maca plant naturally helps boost sexual desire in both men and women.
- Increases Fertility in Men: If you’re trying to participate in the miracle of birth, you want to make sure your little guys are working effectively. Luckily, maca root can also increase fertility by improving not only sperm production but also sperm quality.
- Improves Mood: Known to reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression, maca root has a positive effect on your mood and overall mental well-being.
- Improves Learning and Memory: Some evidence indicated that maca root can help improve brain function, in particular, learning and memory. It has been shown that the black variety of maca root is proven more effective in improving brain function.
How to Eat Maca Root
There are several ways to eat maca powder. From adding it into a nice latte to blending it into your favorite fruit smoothie. But, one of our favorite ways to eat maca powder is with oats. Oats are a nutrient-rich, gluten-free food that is beneficial to your nutrition. Combined with the magic of maca root, you will have the ultimate warm bowl of superfood and nutrition. And, if you want an easy way to include oats with maca root into your diet, check out Oats Overnight. Our easy-to-make oats include maca powder and many other essential nutrients your body needs!