What is Maca Root?
For many years, maca root has been known to be a natural medicine that can help with anemia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and other issues related to energy and memory. However, maca root has recently grown significantly in popularity as a superfood. So, what exactly is the maca root? Not surprisingly, the maca root is the root of the maca plant. Known to scientists as Lepidium meyenii. The maca plant mainly grows high in the Andes of central Peru and is considered a cruciferous vegetable. This means that it’s related to broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and kale.
Sometimes called ‘Peruvian Ginseng,’ the maca root has been used for culinary and medicinal reasons in Peru for at least 3,000 years. More recently, maca root has gained popularity outside of Peru, where it’s typically eaten in a powder form and can be a great additive to foods such as oatmeal, smoothies, and sweet treats. It can also be purchased in a supplement form. Maca root powder has a unique earthy, nutty flavor. There are different types of maca plants and each plant offers different benefits. The most commonly used maca plants are yellow, black, and red.
What are the Benefits of Maca Root Powder?
Maca powder may have many nutritional benefits when consumed regularly. Here are just a few:
- Nutrition: Maca root is very nutritious. Just 28 grams of maca powder includes healthy amounts of many vital nutrients. This includes carbs, protein, fiber, fat, Vitamin C, Copper, Iron, Potassium, Vitamin B6, and Manganese.
- Increases Libido in both men and women: If you’re experiencing decreased sexual desire, you may want to try maca root. That’s because the maca plant naturally helps boost sexual desire in both men and women.
- Increases Fertility in Men: Studies have found that regularly consuming maca root can increase men’s fertility by improving both sperm production and sperm quality. Boost your chances of conception by trying maca root.
- Decreases Erectile Dysfunction: Another sexual health benefit of maca root is that it may decrease erectile dysfunction in men. This is according to a 2009 study that showed benefits for men with mild erectile dysfunction. If this is something you struggle with, give maca root a try.
- Improves Mood: A study has indicated that maca root can reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression. Adding maca root powder to your daily routine may have a positive effect on your mood and overall mental well-being.
- Improves Learning and Memory: Some evidence indicates that maca root can help improve brain function. In particular, it helps improve learning and memory. Just make sure to take the black variety, as it’s been shown that the black maca root is more effective in improving brain function.
- Boosts Energy: Maca root is commonly used amongst athletes due to the natural energy it provides. It can also enhance endurance during high-interval exercise. If you are looking for ways to increase your energy levels, try maca root.
How to Eat Maca Root
There are several ways to eat maca powder, from adding it into a nice latte to blending it into your favorite fruit smoothie. One of our favorite ways to eat maca powder is with oats. Oats are a nutrient-rich, gluten-free food that have a lot of nutritional benefits. Combined with the benefits of maca root, you will have the ultimate warm bowl of superfood and nutrition. And, if you want an easy way to include oats with maca root into your diet, check out Oats Overnight. Not only is it a super convenient meal, but our easy-to-make oats are also healthy, and include maca powder and many other essential nutrients your body needs!
What are the Side Effects of Maca Root?
While there haven’t been many studies done on the side effects of taking maca powder, it’s generally believed to be safe and healthy. As a naturally growing substance that’s classified as a vegetable, most people should feel comfortable taking it, even in large amounts.
However, because many of the maca powder’s benefits result from hormonal changes, those with hormone-sensitive conditions should ask their doctor before taking it. You should also be cautious about taking it if you’re pregnant or a nursing mother.