If you’ve ever glanced at any healthy food list, you have probably seen oats somewhere on there, and rightfully so. Oats contain healthy amounts of proteins, carbohydrates, and fibers necessary for any diet. Not to mention, oats contribute to increased energy levels and heart health. With so many benefits, nothing could go wrong, right?
Unfortunately, no matter how healthy something is, people can make mistakes that will actually hurt your health and not help it. That brings us to the question, does oatmeal make you gain weight? Continue reading below to find out more.
How Oats Can Sabotage Your Weight
There are several things you might be doing with your oats that can make you gain weight. A few mistakes you might be making include:
- Eating too much: The key is moderation. Anything can become unhealthy if you eat too much of it. One half cup of dry oats should yield the proper serving size.
- Unhealthy Toppings: We get it. It’s really tempting to put a big ole spoonful of Nutella on your oats just to give it a little boost of yumminess. But, JUST STOP IT. Instead of using chocolate or other items from your candy bowl, use fruit!
- Too Many Toppings: Okay, even if you are using healthy toppings, you could be putting way too much in your oats. If you aren’t sure how much toppings to put, a good rule of thumb is to stop adding toppings once you’ve reached 150 calories (not including the oats itself).
- You Add Milk: Adding milk or other fats can contribute to weight gain. Instead, add water and maybe a splash of milk (if you like a little creaminess). Don’t worry, contrary to popular belief, adding milk won’t make you more full. Water will still do the trick, and it will still taste delicious!
- You’re Eating Instant Oatmeal: We get that it’s pretty easy to go to the store and buy a box of Quaker Oats instant oatmeal. But, that can be the reason you’re gaining weight! Many instant oatmeal packs include extra sugar or other ingredients that can aid in weight gain. So, toss those instant packs away!
If I can’t have instant oatmeal, what do I do?
Many people don’t know the options they have when it comes to oatmeal. At Overnight Oats, we offer health, delicious oatmeal that is easy to make! And it doesn’t contain the extra sugars or ingredients that will make you gain weight. All you have to do is let your oats sit overnight, and when you wake up in the morning, you’ll have a delicious and nutritious meal ready for you to eat! See our options here!